What computer to easily process D800 files?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
PhotoKaz
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
Re: Basics....
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, 11 months ago

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

PhotoKaz wrote:

You are not the only person in IT, and we do benchmarking in our company as well. At the end of the day we can both state our opinion and let the OP decide for themselves.

Telling anyone in 2013 to run 8GB of RAM is just silly in my opinion. Memory is so cheap and every new OS and app that comes along uses more memory than the version before. I consider 16GB the minimum today for photo editing. You can get by fine with 8GB but why limit it when you can double it for peanuts? I too have a D800 and this is based on my own personal experience not random speculation.

Also, if you are an experienced IT tech I would expect you to recommend a better backup strategy than a simple external hard drive. That simply protects you from a drive failure in your computer, but unless you have multiple external drives and swap take them off-site, or combine it with some type of cloud solution you don't have much security for any issues such as fire, flood, theft, etc.

I keep my backup drives in my house, in a fire-safe. There's no way in hell I'm trusting *ANY* of my files to a company with their vague cloud references while I wait for their server farms to get breached by some hacker bent on showing how smart he is and how vulnerable we are. Um, no.

The rest of what you say is spot on. That guy might be in IT for broke people, but anyone who enjoys post-processing won't be happy with a limited setup when it's really not that much more for more.

I'm not saying that backup drives are bad, just that they are bad for the majority of people.  I have seen it too many times where people buy an external drive with the best of intentions but never follow through with backups.  Most people don't set things up to be automated, and rely on manual backups.  Unfortunately, most people also don't have the discipline to maintain a manual backup strategy.

To me, you need to combine automation with off-site backups.  I like to make it as easy as possible, and just use BackBlaze for off-site.  I also back up to a NAS in my house, just so I can restore quickly if I have a major failure in my computer (though using RAID-5 means I need more than one disk to fail).

If you are managing backups and storing your drives in a fire safe you are well ahead of most.  However, is your safe also watertight?  Not sure if you could ever have a flood.  What about theft?  can anyone walk away with your safe and all contents?

As for cloud, the services are plenty safe.  I use gmail for my email which means Google has access to all of my mail.  I use iCloud to back up my iOS devices, which means Apple has all of the info on those devices.  I post photos on flickr, 500px, etc.  I have embraced cloud for many things, and don't feel exposed.

For BackBlaze, you can use your own encryption key before uploading your files which makes it more secure.  If you don't trust companies to store your files that is fine, but these days everything is going that route.

-- hide signature --
 PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow