ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
asolov
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Need a recommendation on Olympus vs Panasonic
8 months ago

Hi,

I am a new m43 user (and a new user in general). A have an Olympus E-PL2 camera (it was a bargain on Amazon last winter) and a Panasonic 14mm pancake lens (another bargain from Ebay). I like the combination. I shoot only outdoor stuff (so far). I am not convinced that I actually want to bother shooting raw and not sure I want to deal with Photoshop/Lightroom and Windows PCs or Macs. Not beyond Picasa, anyway. So, it's JPEG for me at this point and Olympus seems fine in that respect.

Recently, I started looking into getting some more advanced (wide) lenses. Panasonic has some interesting ones, but they have noticeable chromatic aberration. Even the pancake I have has some. Apparently, Olympus bodies do not correct that, unlike Panasonic. This is not good. I have a few hundred dollars I could potentially spend on photo gear and Panasonic GX1 body is available fairly cheap at the moment.

So, here comes the question: should I jump to Panasonic bodies? Is GX1 a significant improvement over E-PL2? Is E-PL5 much better? What about CA?

Thank you in advance!

Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CA ?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow