Anyone else check out the GX7? Impact on M?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,099Gear list
Like?
Anyone else check out the GX7? Impact on M?
11 months ago

Hi,

Did anyone else check out the just-released Panasonic GX7?  It has a comprehensive feature set and might well point to what Canon will have to compete with if and when they ever release the long-awaited EOS M Version 2.

I'm using a Canon G1X at the moment but am in the market for a mirror-less - the right mirror-less.  The EOS M Version 1 and its lens range didn't appeal to me.  The lack of an EVF and the adoption of a touch screen rather than analogue controls were amongst my key reasons.  We've been told that Version 2 is under development and will be more enthusiast orientated.  So, I'm still waiting to see what is offered later this year by both Canon and the competition.

Aside from the GX7 sensor size issue, what is interesting to me is that Panasonic have managed to shoe horn so much into one body.  It's got a market leading (and tilting) 2.7mpx EVF, a tilting LCD, IBIS, AF to -4EV, 1/8000 shutter, high FPS, 1/320 sync, buit-in flash, flash shoe, twin dial control, focus peaking, NFC, extended in-camera editing, etc - the list goes on.  None of these things are new in this model, but it stands out amongst a sea of cameras whose manufacturers have made their offerings far less 'complete'.  Given its sensor size, its chief competitor is probably the OMD, but if Canon were to release an APSC CSC with a feature set anywhere near this, I suspect it would sell very well.

Or an FF one.  Now there's a thought!:-D

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow