What computer to easily process D800 files?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Make your own!
In reply to hajagosb, Aug 1, 2013

When Dell or anyone else for that matter sells a computer, they sell inferior parts or over-inflated prices. When you build your own computer, you are in charge of what is in the computer.

And *EVERYTHING* matters. The computer I am building has the following:

A 1200 Watt Power Supply. (A lot of people don't even think about this part of the computer, but a good power supply with clean power is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle).

A 30" widescreen, 1 Billion Color monitor. They're very cheap at about $1000.

A single Video-Card. I'm not interested in playing the SLI game. 1 Card does enough, provided you spend some reasonable green on it. I'm looking at the GTX 680 for myself.

A $300 motherboard. I don't need the $500 board with quad or tri-SLI since I'm only using 1 card. So the 1 card solution is saving me the better side of a grand.

A SSD C:Drive. A drive for my games, docs, folders, and stuff. A drive for my photos. A drive for my videos. And copies of all drives. If I could do so, I would simply buy 1 SSD or 1 SSD and 1 Hard-drive, but 2TB is max for my preferred western digital black drives, so I'll suffer until technology catches up to me.

A $300 full-tower service case, so I can push a button and pull out a hard-drive for backup purposes, etc. I do believe in the RAID system, but I don't believe in losing all my data because I don't have a backup in a different physical location.

I always spend $300-$400 on a processor. I think the 3870 is thereabouts now.

And 64 Gigs of RAM.

Will I need all this stuff???  I've been building computers since 1996 and the answer is a *RESOUNDING YES*, because I always end up lagging behind after a couple of years. Now I could buy cheaper, twice as often; but I have to tell you that it's quite fun having a computer that almost no one can match (at least for a year).
Anyway, that's my computer plans.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow