Questions for Experienced Sony/Pentax (recent) migrants to Nikon..

Started Jul 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,420Gear list
Like?
Colors, Focus limiter, Ergonomics, IBIS, No-movement lock on in low light
In reply to Devendra, 11 months ago

Devendra wrote:

I often think that Sony/Pentax's are ahead of the curve in terms of innovative features - not denying that Nikon isn't. I just believe that Nikon is more balanced and practical, while other camera manufacturers features often may not be practical, or may be impractically implemented. Yet, there is a potential in the features (big or small) that would be nice to have in your Nikon's, or could be improved up.

So my questions are pretty straight forward:

1. Which feature(s) is missing in Nikon - and how it was potentially helpful to you as an experienced photographer

Sony's main features are centered around the EVF and the use of it. I think the one feature that Sony added with the A99 that I've always wanted is an AF limiter built into the camera. I actually wouldn't mind being able to access the Nikon AF system in groups (left, center, right) as done in the A99 now).

Colors. I simply preferred Sony colors over Nikon colors, but I'm able to mostly correct for that in PP anyway.

2. Which feature(s) is better/creatively implemented in Sony/Pentax?

I miss in body stabilization I had with my Sony A850. Hard to beat fast primes that are all stabilized by the camera.

Ergonomics were better on my A850 than on my D700. Not by a whole lot, but you feel it sometimes.

My A850 did a better job of locking on to a non-moving target in very low light (in a room at night with no lights on, minimal moon light coming through closed blinds), partially because of the grid-line style AF assist light (which trumps Nikon's implementation of a simple light, easily).

The design for the A850's vertical battery grip made more sense, as the trigger finger is then in the same line as the viewfinder. I really do miss that, as I used a grip on my A850 and use a grip now on my D700.

Note: You can cover features that are already implemented or going to be implemented after your migration.

For example nikon had features like intervalotimer, onboard flash, ondemand grid lines, gps connectivity.. etc since 2005.. or even earlier. Spot metering tied to AF points is in every model Group metering is something that Nikon does not have. Fuji S series has great skin tones while maintaining vibrant colors on non-skin areas.

Feel free to add as much as possible, since I am interested in reading and understanding your perspective.

Thanks!

However, Nikon gives me better options for high-quality, cheap lenses. Better High ISO performance, significantly better AF performance (especially with a wider spread). I prefer Nikon's flash system, that's for sure, as Sony's is finicky, and at a strange point in their transition from minolta iISO hot shoes.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (18 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow