The new Nexus 7

Started Jul 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,776Gear list
Like?
Re: The new Nexus 7
In reply to birdloverintex, 11 months ago

birdloverintex wrote:

According to Anandtech.com's review, the new Nexus 7 has removed support for OTG. So wireless drives are the only way to go for backup/image access with the new tablet, just like with the iPad.

I was alarmed to read that, so I quickly read the review. Much of it was impenetrable for me, but I do not see where the review said Google removed OTG support. Can you amplify on this? I had hoped this would be the tablet for me.

I screwed up. It was mentioned in another review which I now can't locate. Early adopters have been trying this, and this thread:

http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/nexus-7-2nd-generation/3472-does-gen2-new-nexus-7-still-support-otg-cables.html

lists some of their findings.

It should be noted that the original Nexus 7 behaved exactly the same way as the new version does - the kernel support for OTG I/O is missing.  To get the Nexus 7 to support full I/O host mode, you have to overwrite the Android 4.3 OS shipped with the tablet with a modified one (called "rooting"), which voids the warranty.  Full host mode is something that Samsung tablets generally support natively.

What users of the Nexus 7 have found to work are two:

1. Use Nexus Media Importer.  This simple app supports read/write through a special app that works on stock Android 4.2 or 4.3.  Many satisfied users.

2. Use a wireless card reader/hub.  This is what I use (specifically, the Kensington Mobillite), and it has the great advantage of being both OS agnostic (the card reader/hub is accessed through an app, available on iOS or Android 4.x+), and capable of direct card-external storage device transfers in which the tablet simply initiates the transfer, but does not do anything else.  This allows for very fast SD card backup - about 10-12MB/sec, close to what USB2 is capable of.  Files can be accessed wirelessly from the tablet and transferred into local storage at will.  You can also use the Mobillite as a Wifi passthrough to allow you to surf the web while the transfer completes.

I'd advise to not be so worried about OTG support; there are many options now available to you that don't involve cables.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow