Started Aug 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
halfmonkey
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?
Hoping NEX-FF isn't an NEX afterall
Aug 1, 2013

I know I might get flamed for saying this but I'm actually hoping the NEX-FF isn't actually part of the NEX line. The NEX line currently has an APS-C sensor with not a very high quality selection on lenses. In addition, the NEX line spans a wide range of camera bodies from "top of the line" to an "entry" level NEX camera with minimal functions and features compared to the NEX-7. Moving the NEX into the FF category would be a complete jump in category.

On the flip side, look at the RX family of cameras. There's the RX100 and the RX1 and both have been getting great reviews minus the nit-picking of the RX1 saying that it's missing a VF. Even the RX100 with a 1" sensor has been getting great reviews and it arguably the top of it's class right now for compact cameras.

I think it was previously mentioned that the head of SOny was quoted as saying that he would like to expand the RX line. I think some people were wondering if this meant that Sony would introduce an RX10 (APS-C). Then when Sony announced the RX1R, many were wondering if this was to be the RX1 ii or a variant maybe with a different focal length.

I'm hoping that they expand the RX family and keep the RX1 with a fixed 35mm and introduce an RX2 with a changeable lens system.

I don't really see myself buying into the NEX market if Sony is going to ask me to spend $3k for the body only and it says NEX on the body simply because the NEX family doesn't elicit high quality.

Say I'm crazy but the reality is when purchasing luxury goods, brand prestige will always factor into the purchase decision whether you admit it or not. That's why these companies spend so much to make sure you remember their brand and what they stand for.

Food for thought....

What if Sony kept the RX1 as the fixed focal length and expanded it to other fixed focal lengths and called them RX2 for example with a 50mm and RX3 with an 85mm? What if Sony then introduced the RX10 as the interchangeable lens version of the RX1? Now that would be awesome! That would really make the RX line unique from the other camera manufacturers.

halfmonkey's gear list:halfmonkey's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow