Going lightweight - what am I missing?

Started May 14, 2013 | Questions thread
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
Re: Very nice shots - to me they say Paris!
In reply to Gibbosa, Aug 1, 2013

Let me contrast 2 different trips. My first was to Andalucia, Spain. I took everything but the kitchen sink. The result was only a handful of photos out of thousands that really warranted all the gear. Next trip, I took only my Fuji X-10, one memory card, an extra battery and a gorillapod. Surprisingly, I had more fun and a higher keeper rate. I'm still baffled as to why but have a few theories:

1. The first trip was at the very start of my foray into photography so maybe I just sucked.
  2. The X-10's limitations encouraged me to think a bit more about the shot while simultaneously not pressuring me to shoot all the time. When I go through the trouble of toting a DSLR, I find myself trying to justify it and shooting machine-gun style with very little thought going into each photo.
  3. The X-10's unobtrusiveness applies behind the camera too. I wasn't as focused on the camera and it's settings as I was on the scene in front of me.
  4. The Spain trip was a bit hectic - 4 cities in 7 days.

That said, I definitely missed some shots without my DSLR and its accessories. So I'm planning to take both next trip and take only one or the other depending on each day's itinerary and likely photographic opportunities.

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow