Started Jul 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ckcolvin24
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Camera Bag for Travel...
In reply to droid63, Jul 31, 2013

droid63 wrote:

ckcolvin24 wrote:

Have you looked at the offerings from F-stop? I am considering a bag for an upcoming trip to Patagonia and the feature I like most about their bags is a removable ICU (internal camera unit). The ICU contains all of the camera gear. You can pick different size ICUs depending on how much gear you want to carry and how much space you want to leave for other items. Also, if size becomes an issue for a carry-on, you can just pull the ICU out and check the rest of the bag. Very nice feature IMO.

I do not own any of their bags, but about ready to pull the trigger. Any experience with their bags out there?

I own an F-stop Guru with a mid-size Pro ICU. I'm totally over the moon with the bag and the ICU; quality is excellent and everything is extremely well thought out. The ICU holds a 5D II with grip, 24-70/2.8I, 16-35/2.8II, 70-200/2.8I, EF 2x extender II and a Samyang 14/2.8 and a load of filters, cables, etc. In honesty the lenses are without hoods, as these are bulky. At a push one, maybe two additional lenses could fit in the compartment above the ICU, but would need their own protection. Otherwise the hoods would fit here as well.

The bag is airline compatible, very comfortable to wear with adjustable shoulder straps and a very decent waisbelt. I have lugged the bag over numerous locations (currently residing in Death Valley on a 4-week USA trip) and have no regrets. Previous bags included Lowepro Nature Trekker (failed after admittely many years of use) & Pro Trekker (failed after only one week of use!) and Kata . I still own the latter as it holds more gear, but am usually tempted to use the Guru due to its flexibility. I have even used the Guru without ICU for a multi-day hike - perfect. In wet conditions a raincover is essential as the lightweight fabric is not water resistant. A dedicated compartment in the underside of the bag is present for storage.

Larger F-stop bags (eg Loka) will hold more stuff, but are probably not airline compatible.

My only "grudge" would be the availability of F-stop gear. They seam to produce batches early spring and fall and products sell out very quickly. I've been trying to get a micro-ICU for a micro4/3 system since ages but no luck. Maybe it's a testimony to their popularity...

Regards,

Andrew

-- hide signature --

It's not the size that counts - it's the performance

Thanks for passing along. I ordered the Tilopa BC and 2 ICUs last night. Not cheap but everyone that owns one raves about their quality and features.

ckcolvin24's gear list:ckcolvin24's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow