Started Jul 27, 2013 | Photos thread
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,986Gear list
Like?
Re: Making the Best of Busy Weeks
In reply to Rob Sims, Jul 31, 2013

Rob Sims wrote:

Hey Matt,

Slightly off topic, but just saw from your website that you also use a Nikkor 85/1.4 AIS. How are you finding it?

I've just replaced my Nikon 85/1.8D with the exact same Nikkor 85/1.4 AIS 2 days ago (2nd hand) and haven't even had a chance to take it outside yet. Will be in Czech Republic this weekend, and then Philippines (bad carbon footprint, sorry trees) - can't wait to start using it.

Rob

Hey there Rob. The 85/1.4 is a fantastic lens, a much more versatile one than my 105mm f/1.8 in many scenarios. I actually used it exclusively to shoot a three-week sports camp for all the individual action shots. I do have a review of it on my site if you want to read more to know what to expect from it.

However, the seller I bought it from on eBay mentioned it was the sharpest copy he'd ever used (it supposedly was his last "personal" copy he had been hanging on to), and I can see why. When focus is perfectly nailed, real-world detail even at f/1.4 is impressive.

That said, once I get around to seeing how much that soon-to-be-announced NEX-9(?) will cost, I'll be selling my 85mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8 OSS, 105mm f/1.8, and 105mm f/2.8 Micro to help get that Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro-Planar.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow