why has the 16mm f2.8 got such a bad rep?

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dohmnuill
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
Re: why has the 16mm f2.8 got such a bad rep?
In reply to Caris, Jul 31, 2013

Caris wrote:

Dohmnuill wrote:

tomtom50 wrote:

Contrast dives to zero in the corners. It isn't just sample variation.

It's even less just outside the corners..

Who gives a tinker's cuss about the extreme corners. Practical results from the field count and when it's difficult to immediately differentiate the 16mm shot from something ten or twenty times the cost it's not doing too badly.

I use Leica and C Voigtlander lenses with the N-7, and the 16mm (plus various Nikkors and an Industar 50). If it was ordinary or worse, I'd ditch it straight away. But it's not.

Well, some of us do care about the corners, especially when they are unequally soft/blurred! This is from practical experience, not some test charts. Try to take a landscape photo of a grass/wheat field for instance on a tripod stopped down to f8-11 and see the results. This is where the extreme corners DO matter. In a busy city street photo it may not be that important or obvious.

By the time I've (often) straightened the shot, which involves a little cropping, and then slightly darkened near the borders, the eye is drawn more to the centre. It would be less usual to search the corners for details (particularly in w/a landscapes and with the sky/clouds in the top two corners).

How often do corners count?  I guess I shoot with the corners less in mind with the 16mm, and with the slightly longer Leica and Ultron (CV) glass used if corners are  important (yay, I then get to join the caring "some of us" !)).

At about $150 or less, the small and light 16mm is no burden to own, no burden to use, and most importantly the results can be excellent.

And easily converted to a 12mm with the made-in-Japan VCL-ECU1.

The 'blind' test soon sorts the knockers from the users. I'll try to post some (with absolute minimal cropping) soon to "My Gallery" but without the ID of the lenses. In the meantime, check out Fred M's forum.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow