What computer to easily process D800 files?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,787Gear list
Like?
Re: What computer to easily process D800 files?
In reply to hajagosb, Jul 31, 2013

hajagosb wrote:

At the moment, I'm using an almost two years old Dell XPS laptop with SSD drive, 16GB RAM and i7 processor running Windows 8. It should be fast.

I'm doing heavy retouching often, 2-4 GB layered Photoshop files and sometimes for events processing a lot of files in Lightroom. And my computer feels kind of slow for both.

What do you have, where it's really fast in response? What should i focus on choosing a new computer, more memory, or faster processor? I'm going for a desktop now.

I don't think there is an easy answer for this.  Your computer might be slow simply because of your anti virus software (if you have one), or because you have too much junk in it.  Is hard to say.

i certainly don't think you need a faster processor than an i7.  I am NOT a computer geek, but a computer geek did explaining to me that depending on what application you are running, that particular program will run faster with an i3 CPU than if you had an i7.  That is just the way they are design, again, different CPUs are made for different purposes, and if you are not using SPECIFIC heavy duty programs that require to run multiple CPU'S, then an i7 will not be as efficient as an i3 processor.

Most of time there is no reason in buying the latest and more expensive CPU, and most people don't know that and don't understand that either.  You should look into that for a better understanding.  Certainly don't go to Best Buy looking for an answer like this, they are going to just try to sell you the latest machine.  Ask people that deal with CPU and motherboards, not sales people.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow