What do you think is M43's biggest competition?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
What do you think is M43's biggest competition?
Jul 30, 2013

I've been looking at Fuji's X series lately, and that, to me, seems like the best APS-C system out there in terms of image quality and lenses, making it the only system that appeals to me in terms of both quality and size. If the current lineup has a few holes, the 56mm f/1.2 and 23mm f/1.4 lenses should fill them up. On paper, the 56mm f/1.2 might become the ultimate portrait lens for mirrorless. Sure, every last one of these is pretty expensive, but the specs back their prices up. Plus, the "kit zoom" is an excellent 18-55mm f/2.8-4 that should hold together in a lot of situations. With the 2.0 firmware that just brought focus peaking to existing cameras, it seems that Fuji is in the game of supporting its users for the long haul. Hey, Olympus, hear that? Combine that with arguably the best APS-C sensor on the market, and it's clear to me that the X system, not Sony NEX, is M43's biggest competition. Also, you've gotta admit, right now in 2013, much like Olympus, Fuji seems to be "in" right now.

None of the other APS-C systems on the market seem to really treat APS-C with the respect it deserves. When I look at Canon and Nikon, APS-C is seen as a compromise and the best lenses are all full frame, heavy affairs. And sure, XF glass is expensive, but they're still cheaper and more suited to APS-C than full-frame Canon or Nikon glass. As for Sony, really awesome work on their bodies and sensors, but I'm really starting to give up on them ever getting their lens game together. Where's the fast and light and affordable 20-24mm? Where's the portrait lens that can compete with Olympus 45mm, much less 75mm? Where's the lens that can compete with the Olympus 12mm? Instead, they're now focusing on FF NEX glass for their FF video camera and the rumored NEX still camera, and it seems they, too, are destined to treat APS-C with second-class status.

Fuji's current lineup and their roadmap shows that they get it. Olympus clearly gets it. With the lenses like the 25mm, the to-be 42.5mm f/1.2, and the two f/2.8 zooms, Panasonic gets it. So why is it so hard for other manufacturers to make the lenses that people are dying to give them money to make? All those manufacturers that love to talk up the superiority of APS-C sensor need to make some APS-C specific glass, and make them smaller and in that $400-800 range of not exactly affordable, but still something people can consider.

So yes, I consider the X series to be the biggest competition. I would take NEX more seriously but to me, the current road for NEX seems to indicate that, for the near future, they're not headed in a direction I'm interested in.

On paper, it also seems like Samsung NX has something good going on, but I don't know, they don't seem to hit on all cylinders for me.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow