small sensor/long zooms versus big sensor/small zooms/cropping- advice re RX100?

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bpfer
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
small sensor/long zooms versus big sensor/small zooms/cropping- advice re RX100?
Jul 30, 2013

This is perhaps an unanswerable question, but I'm looking to upgrade from my battered Lumix DMC ZS5 (travel zoom, small sensor but a 12X 300mm equiv) while staying with a pocket size. While I understand cramming in pixels generally results in noise, do you think the big sensor and 20 megapix on the RX100 would mean that cropping could decently take the place of the extra zoom length? I take a lot of concert pictures (though not exclusively) and the long zoom is very useful for this, but would love to upgrade quality while staying pocketable and discreet! (APS and SLR, while the obvious answer, are just too big with the appropriate lenses).  Or should I perhaps go for the HX50 despite the quality limitations?  I've often wondered whether the smaller zoom ranges of these upmarket compacts is less of a problem because of the image quality, or whether this alone can't compensate... any thoughts appreciated!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow