why has the 16mm f2.8 got such a bad rep?

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
Re: Well ....
In reply to Keit ll, Jul 30, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

All of the comments ignore the history of the launch of the NEX at which many Photographers & Journalists took some bad photos using the 16mm.

Sony , receiving complaints , explained that some early faulty prototypes had been handed out & said they had been withdrawn . The lens's reputation was considerably tarnished by this episode & has never fully recovered.

Maybe, but the corner softness at wide apertures is something that some people cannot stand.  If this is going to bother you, then I would avoid the lens. But how much of a problem is this, really?

Handled carefully it can produce good results but it's weakness is soft edges which can affect it's use as a landscape lens , sometimes judicious cropping can improve images & stopping down aperture considerably improves its performance.

Fortunately, when I'm doing landscapes, I'm outdoors in the sun.  Even in the dreary UK, in drizzly, rainy weather in the middle of winter, the camera often chose f6.3 in P mode.  By that point, the "blurry" softness was pushed so far into the corners, it just didn't matter; a crop to 8x10 format and they're gone.

So, from a practical standpoint, it's more usable than it may seem, even with its corner flaws.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow