Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
PhiDelt496
New MemberPosts: 20
$5k to spend on upgrade...D600 or 5D Mark III
9 months ago

Last year I bought a Nikon D3100 as my first SLR.  I bought this to see if I would enjoy photography before spending a lot on a setup.  My current lenses are 18-55 VR, 55-200 VR, 35mm 1.8 DX, 50 1.8g, 85 1.8g.  I am starting to really get tired of some of the limitations of the D3100 and the cheap zooms.  I do love my primes and they are great, but swapping lenses back and forth get frustrating.

My budget is $5k for my new setup and my main types of photography are landscapes while backpacking, family shots, and I am wanting to get into some flash and portrait styles as well as some concert shots.  I occasionally shoot sports outdoors or indoors, but it is not a major factor or influence.  I care nothing about video!  I could easily spend another 3-5k in the next two years to round out the setup.  So later purchases are possible.

I am not a pro, but an enthusiast and a gear junkie who would rather buy spend more to buy the right thing one time rather than stop gaps that cost more in the long run.
I do need to at least have a light weight setup for backpacking but want good IQ.

I am planning on waiting till closer to the end of the year to see if the really good rebates from last year and early this year come back.

My thoughts on setup are as follows:

Nikon D600

Nikon 24-120 f/4

Then decide on 16-35 VR or 70-200 f/4 or both or go with 2.8 zooms.

Canon 5D Mark III kit w/ 24-105

50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 (I could sell my Nikon 50 and 85 to offset one of these at least)

Then decide on 17-40L or 70-200 f/4 IS or both.  Or go with 2.8 zooms.

I have read great reviews on both the 24-120 and the 24-105 and want to see how their limitations impact my needs as I grow and develop as a photographer.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D3100 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow