25mm as single-lens for OM-D?

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,954Gear list
Like?
Re: 25mm as single-lens for OM-D?
In reply to BHPhotog, Jul 29, 2013

BHPhotog wrote:

I accept the greater flexibility of the zoom, and the ideal setup would be a range of primes, but what about a single lens prime setup? This one or another. How is that working out for anyone out there? Problems, benefits of the one-lens kit...

I think it all depends on how specialized or versatile you want to make your photography. There have been a lot of people who "made do" with either a 50mm lens on their film SLR, Leica or used cameras like Rolleiflex TLR's with fixed standard lenses. You could do a lot worse.

I prefer a little more varied approach with at least one additional prime to cover the wide and at least the short telephoto range. This past weekend I visited a local garden with my E-M5, 25mm f1.4, 12mm f2 and 75mm f1.8 as well as the 60mm f2.8 macro for closeups. Of the 62 images I wound up processing and uploading, only 6 were captured with the 25mm f1.4. The 25 is more a part of the range rather than my primary lens. Far and away, the 12mm f2 was my most used lens this past weekend.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow