25mm as single-lens for OM-D?

Started Jul 29, 2013 | Questions thread
niekirk
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: 25mm as single-lens for OM-D?
In reply to BHPhotog, Jul 29, 2013

BHPhotog wrote:

I just spent 4 days with the Panasonic/Leica 25mm, comparing/contrasting to my 12-50 OM-D kit lens.

As expected, the IQ of the 25mm is stunningly good; the ability to shoot wide open and soften/blur the background was a revelation; the ability to shoot low light amazing. It is as good as the reports say.

But now the question: is anybody using only one prime on the OM-D or comparable MFT camera?

I accept the greater flexibility of the zoom, and the ideal setup would be a range of primes, but what about a single lens prime setup? This one or another. How is that working out for anyone out there? Problems, benefits of the one-lens kit...

Brian

I use mainly primes on my OM-D.  I find it useful to have only a few alternative focal lengths to think about, rather than the many that a zoom offers.  I find primes and the OM-D a great combination, not least because the primes are so light to carry.

If you like primes, and the 25mm angle of view and depth of field opportunities suit your style, it would be a sensible, indeed a classic choice as your main or sole lens.  The f/1.4 speed could sometimes be very useful too, and that offers soething you cannot get in a zoom.  It's not a focal length I would use much.  I mainly use the 45mm, switching to the 12mm when I want to go wide.  I still have a 14-42mm kit zoom for the gaps in the middle, but have used it on only one occasion in the last 12 months.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow