Started Jul 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
Re: OP response #5
In reply to BHPhotog, Jul 29, 2013

BHPhotog wrote:

Ulric wrote:

Of course you can do that. A 50mm prime used to be the kit lens. I used my OM-1 with the single 50mm for a long time until I could afford additional lenses. Even now, I usually put on a single prime when I leave the house.

That would be a 25mm on the MFT, correct? Do you find there are subjects or situations when the single prime simply doesn't work? What does the prime give you that a zoom with comparable IQ does not, or is it the other way around? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks for the response,
Brian

It is 25mm on MFT, yes.

What the primes give is primarily speed. I bought my E-M5 last year with the kit lens, which is a whopping f/6.3 at the long end. It is f/3.5 at the short end, so I sometimes use it as a 12mm prime.

The primes are also smaller. Panasonic make two zoom lenses, the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8, that could potentially eliminate most need for primes, but the are pretty large compared to the 20/1.7 and 14/2.5 I use most.

Leaving the house with nothing but a prime, especially if it is a long prime, means sometimes not getting shots because you can't get close or far enough. It also forces you to see differently, take other shots than you would otherwise have. I take so many pictures that it would be silly to complain about missed shots.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow