Like?
Re: 25mm as single-lens for OM-D?
In reply to BHPhotog, Jul 29, 2013

Apply the 25 1.4, when

-you are in (real) low light

-you need some background blur

-you want to learn the perspective of 25mm

Apply the 12-50, when

-other focal length is needed (e.g.: close(r) portraits, certain landscapes, some indoors etc)

-in daylight

-when macro is needed

Using only 25mm could be a learning curve, but it is restricted for many situations where 12-50 matches.

While the IQ of the 25 is better, in the end it is _much more_ important to choose the right focal length in a situation than somewhat better sharpness or color. You can improve these in post process, but you can't go wider with 25mm, and I doubt that cropping it to 50mm would result better IQ than zooming the 12-50 to 50mm.

Long story short: coose the 25mm when it is justified, but you will be restricted if you use it as 'only lens'.

BHPhotog wrote:

I just spent 4 days with the Panasonic/Leica 25mm, comparing/contrasting to my 12-50 OM-D kit lens.

As expected, the IQ of the 25mm is stunningly good; the ability to shoot wide open and soften/blur the background was a revelation; the ability to shoot low light amazing. It is as good as the reports say.

But now the question: is anybody using only one prime on the OM-D or comparable MFT camera?

I accept the greater flexibility of the zoom, and the ideal setup would be a range of primes, but what about a single lens prime setup? This one or another. How is that working out for anyone out there? Problems, benefits of the one-lens kit...

Brian

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow