USED 70-200 F2.8 VR II or NEW 70-200 F4 (VR III)?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
dcmackintosh
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: Do not make VR a deciding factor
In reply to kormendi_adam, Jul 29, 2013

I don't believe a word of this marketing stuff by Nikon, and I seriously doubt that there is any difference between the VR capability of those lenses.

I have a lowly 70-300 VR, and I can take razor sharp shots at 300mm and 1/6 sec (or even 1/3) with a D300s. That would be 450mm on an FX camera. That is already in 'insane territory'.

And I bet that VR on the 70-200 is no worse. Now, how can that be improved? VR can be faster or quieter or less proun to failure, but I don't think the VR on the F4 can give you a 1-stop advantage over that of the f2.8 (which is undisputedly one of Nikon's best lenses ever made).

You must be exceptionally steady, I doubt most people can do that well. In my own quick test with my 24-85 at 85mm on my D300s I can hold it consistently steady down to about 1/90 with VR off or 1/15 with it on, 2.5 stops. Also consider that you can't always get the desired composition from an ideal holding position. I don't doubt that they've made improvements in the last 10+ years or that other lens design factors help or hinder VR effectiveness.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow