Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248
Like?
EOSHD says RX100M2 video no match for Panasonic G6
Jul 28, 2013

On the EOSHD review of the RX100M2 , they are critical of the video quality - in particular aliasing/moire. Here's what they say:

"The RX100 Mark II shows no improvement on the RX100 Mark I and moire / aliasing are still present having plagued every Sony video mode since the dinosaur era – NEX 5N, NEX 7, NEX 5R – the list goes on. All the cameras have a sometimes quite electronic feel to the video output and cope poorly with strong blues tones. Compression isn’t as good as Panasonic’s nor is overall video quality (G6, GH2, GH3) and that is something of a tragedy for Sony users in the case of the full frame RX1. On the RX100 however it’s easier to accept the NEX-5N-ish image for $750 which is good for a compact. Still a shame though! It’s such an enjoyable camera to take around with you and could be a real filmmaking asset for many."

The thing is, when I look at the demo video on Vimeo (make sure you download the full 1080p) I don't see any of the aliasing/moire problems they talk about.

The reason I am asking is that I have ordered an RX100 II to use for both stills and video, and the EOSHD review concludes:

"Video quality beginning to lag behind similarly priced models – no match for Panasonic G6".

The Panasonic G6 was another camera I was considering, so I'd be grateful for some feedback from RX100M2 owners on the video quality and if I should choose the Panasonic G6 if video is important to me.

(Qualifier: I would just be using the kit lens on the G6, so the RX100 would be enjoying the advantage of its faster lens).

Thanks for any feedback.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow