ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,530Gear list
Like?
Real World with the 5D3/24-70 II versus D800E/24-70G @ 24mm
Jul 28, 2013

Real World with the 5D3/24-70 II versus D800E/24-70G @ 24mm

It is highly recommended that the viewer download the RAWs and process the files in a manner that he/she sees fit. You can find the RAWs at the 3rd link.

5D mk III & 24-70 II

5D mk III & 24-70 II

D800E & 24-70G

D800E & 24-70G

RAW, TIFF & the aforementioned jpeg files of both brands can be downloaded at the following link. There are RAWs of every full stop from f2.8 to f22 also available. (Some folks may have to copy/paste the link to their browsers.)

https://app.box.com/s/fuac7zqd7h7n14wnf3v0

This is the location and landscape scene I use to test all of my cameras and lenses because it has a little of everything pertinent to my photography: foliage, water, architecture (straight lines), grand vista, infinity. I highly recommend that folks take their own copies of the 5D3/24-70 II and D800E/24-70G and find subject matter that matters to you.

Here are a couple of procedural notes.

1.) The street at the horizon is center frame, focus point and infinity. For a 24mm lens, the entire frame is at infinity.

2.) After leveling the camera attached to a Markins ball head, I shot the 5D3/24-70 II combo first. Then, using the same ball head position to mount the D800E/24-70G combo, I shot the same series of shots. Due to the slightly differing sizes of the cameras, the image plane doesn’t match exactly. Yes, I am aware that the earth moved and the sun was in a different position for each set.

3.) Images have the same aperture (f8), shutter speed (1/320) and ISO (ISO 100). Bracketing was used to insure that matching shutter speeds were obtained. I did not provide matching shutter speeds for every aperture at the link above.

4.). F8 was chosen for the posted comparison to limit the diffraction impact on the conversions while having some sharpness at the edges and corners to compare. Want to see a different aperture. check out the link above.

5.) Every effort was made to equalize settings so that the results were also equalized. Other than the 25%/.05 radius sharpening in ACR that seems to be Adobe’s default, and the use of a 3rd party, near identical camera profile, there is absolutely Zero processing on either image. WB is Daylight. Since the results did not match perfectly and if you are one who must have the results equal, then please, do your own equalizations.

6.) The overall intent is for viewers to apply their own PPing and sharpening regimens to these images before assessing a preference if any. RAWs have been supplied for this purpose. The jpegs are posted for the convenience of folks who may not have a RAW converter outside of the proprietary software supplied by the manufacturer.

7.) A similar thread has been posted in the corresponding Nikon forum.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow