Pocketwizard Flex TT5s - just what exactly have I bought ?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
baldfox
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Pocketwizard Flex TT5s - just what exactly have I bought ?
Jul 28, 2013

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me.

In laymans terms.. i have bought 3 flexTTs (canon) with a 580ii and a 430ii to go with my 5Dmk3. I can get them to fire off together although the reliability is far from ideal, probably misfires around 40% of the time, and this is within a room, so say 10-20feet, nothing bigger. But I am a little confused and hope someone here can shed some light on this for me (i've googled/youtubed to no avail).

On my camera menu, with everything set up, I can amend FEC (flash exposure) up or down, but I have no ability to change from Ettl to manual on the camera (that I know of). On the flashes, i can manually change the mode from manual to Ettl, but it never really makes much difference in terms of results. I was under the impression that when I had everything set up, I would be able to amend from manual to ettl at will on the camera, and the flex on the hotshoe would control the rest. Am I mistaken ?

Also, Do I need to set up a master / slave set up with the 2 flashes or do I leave the proprietary wireless off and let the flex's do their bit ? I deally would like to get to a place where i could shoot ettl correctly, but at the flick of a switch go manual, and then start manually adjusting the flashes etc. Is this too much to ask ?

All pocketwizards running latest firmware, and so is the 5D3.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Andy

baldfox's gear list:baldfox's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow