USED 70-200 F2.8 VR II or NEW 70-200 F4 (VR III)?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Babylon7
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: USED 70-200 F2.8 VR II or NEW 70-200 F4 (VR III)?
In reply to RichyjV, Jul 28, 2013

RichyjV wrote:

I haven't done extensive handheld tests for slow shutter speeds on the 2.8, I played around quite a lot with one, and had the f4 not been released I would have got the 2.8, but I'm sure there are plenty of folk here who have! The only reason I have on the f4 is because someone asked on the forum a couple of months ago and I was curious as to what the answer was, and it is easy to test.

Even then, depends on your focus distance as mentioned above, there is huge focus breathing on the 2.8 so if you are testing 200mm at close range for handheld speeds you aren't really comparing like with like.

But I wouldn't get fixated on numbers like these handheld ones, it is hard to qualify the difference exactly, and the benefits of one or the other in the end come down to weight/price/2.8?/a bit better vr, with a few exceptions for outdoors shooters who need weatherproofing preferring the 2.8/shooters needing far corner details where the f4 is a bit stronger/people for whom focus breathing is too much.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

From your post and others it looks like the majority of people actually favour the F4 based on price/performance. I suppose I need a good combination speed and VR and I can wait for better deal on a used F2.8 VR II. After all, I got my D90 + grip + 17-55 2.8 package used for $1100!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow