Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Condor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
Steadyshot... but in the LCD
Jul 28, 2013

I bought the A57 and a 75-300mm for my birding and wildlife observation hobby.

And I'm very pleased with the camera and its features.

But used to cameras with IS, OIS, etc. I was totally accustomed to very stable tracking and aiming images on my LCD at long shots, 840mm even (SX30), with my FZ200 and also with short and medium focal with my GH3, LX3 and ZS20.

But when I started using my A57 - 75-300mm kit at the longest end and with additional clear zoom and even with max digital zoom, I thought my camera was wrong or broken until I realized that due its Translucent Mirror, my LCD was showing a DSLR equivalent live view image and not the stabilized image of the motorized sensor as my other cameras. I checked that taking a photo while I was shaking the camera and the difference was evident between Photo Steady shot ON or OFF... last one blurred... first one clear.

I miss that stabilized LCD image in photo mode very very much (the same that A57 indeed provides in movie mode) since it is not just a sensation cons but due to the fact that when you believe your camera is shaking too much you tend to correct that, moving it... and you end up with a more shacked vision of your distant wildlife subject and probably with a worse final photo (higher ISO). I know that this is a psychological human problem and not a real technical flaw, but I'm human...

I searched in the menu and their is no option for choosing between live shacked view or delayed stabilized sensor LCD image. I also tried setting my camera to movie mode and taking a photo using that stabilized LCD image... but it doesn´t take photos in movie mode.

Does it exist a solution for this issue. If not, I'm pretty sure a new firmware could easily provide it to wildlife observers like me.

By the way, I'm using last 1.04 firmware ... and NO, I don not use tripods in my normal wildlife tours, so that´s no solution for me.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow