USED 70-200 F2.8 VR II or NEW 70-200 F4 (VR III)?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Babylon7
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
USED 70-200 F2.8 VR II or NEW 70-200 F4 (VR III)?
Jul 28, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I know there are other posts comparing the 70-200 F2.8 VR II against the 70-200 F4, but my main question has rather to do with what I use it with and value.

I'm in the market for a long-range zoom, and at brand new prices for both, the F4 is a very compelling choice compared to the F2.8 VR II.

I live in Toronto where there is a 13% sales tax. If I was to buy the F4 brand new (haven't seen any used yet in my area), the lowest price I can get it for is about $1400 (taxes included). However, if I was to get the F2.8 VR II used, I can probably find it in the $1900 range if I haggle a bit (no taxes, but also no warranty; but not really that good of a deal besides saving taxes). But this is better than paying into the $2300-$2400 range (taxes included) for a new copy.

I'm not too concern about image quality around the edges since I'm shooting DX with my trusted D90, and there also lies the problem - the quality of high ISO shots are obviously not on par with the D7X00.

In my mind, the F2.8 obviously has an extra stop over the F4, but the F4 has the new VR III, which also gives an extra stop over the F2.8 VR II (if you were to believe Nikon's marketing dept).

If I have this correct, the F2.8's real advantage, besides being much better built and maybe some noticeable increase in depth of field, would only be transparent when you are actually shooting at F2.8; whereas the extra stop worth's VR in the F4 would function at all apertures, thus will allow me to maintain a one-step faster shutter speed (perceived advantage) given the same aperture and ISO (which is useful for my shaky hands and when not shooting wide open). Again, this is what I imagine, so I don't know how this compares to the real world usage and I could also be wrong.

With all this in mind and the potential $500-$600 dollar difference instead of a $1000 difference, which would be a better choice?

Thanks!

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow