Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,229
Like?
Re: They always fail out of nowhere!
In reply to Ahender, Jul 27, 2013

Ahender wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Ahender wrote:

I had been suing Windows 7 Backup Utility until I found out it DOES NOT back up all the files needed to do a complete system restore.

It does when you use the "Create a System Image" option. I've tested this and it works just fine.

I have backed up using this option with the backup utility. Is there any way to differentiate where the system image is located in the backup file?

Unfortunately, no.   My biggest gripe about the Windows backup utility is that it's totally opaque - you have absolutely no idea what files are stored in there and when they were backed up.

Sean. Is the Windows backup utility the software of choice for you?

For image backups, yes.   For everything else, no.   I have several external USB drives that I rotate on weekly and monthly cycles, so what I do with the image backups is to run an image backup to put on each of the disks and keep track separately of when I did it.

I get really paranoid using backup software if I can't find EVERYTHING it supposedly writes to disk.

I totally agree.   And I also use checksums to ensure that all of my backups are still readable on a regular basis.  I find that USB is a lot more sensitive to connection issues and some kinds of errors go unreported, so I like to have a way to independently verify the integrity of my data.

Also, could someone explain disk cloning. Yesterday my plan was to clone my internal disk to an external drive but there did not appear to be any option to choose the external drive.

Sorry, I use Linux to do my disk cloning and have no experience with Windows utilities in that regard.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow