Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D EM-5 3D shots
In reply to hdr, 9 months ago

hdr wrote:

pavinder wrote:

The 3D functionality is brilliant, but unfortunately it has (among other things) these awful limitations/cripples:

1. Fixed resolution of 1920 x 1080 px

2. No RAW

3. Landscape mode only - no portrait mode!!

I can live without RAW at a stretch, but No. 1 and 3 really are terrible limitations.

That is because the feature is designed for HD 3D video with a single lens.

For video, the act of panning is itself a 'continuous cha-cha' of sorts to the camera as it sweeps across the scene while capturing multiple frames. But unlike twin lens cameras, the effect is more like a pseudo-3D rather than 'true' 3D in which each frame is captured at the same time.

Please do correct me if I am wrong.

I agree that portrait mode wouldn't be useful for 3D video, but I haven't seen any suggestion anywhere that the feature was designed for 3D video.

Page 61 of the User Manual is titled "3D Photography".

While it does say "results can be viewed on devices that support 3D display" (and most of such devices I guess are 3D TVs), it still only refers to viewing photographs, and the camera's function is definitely for stereo-pair photography, not video.

Of course as you point out, a pseudo-3D video could also be viewed by panning, but my impression is that this would be an extra bonus rather than the intended purpose of the camera's 3D function.

Given that there are a number of 3D camera apps for the iPhone (and I assume Android too) that include both orientations, I couldn't imagine it would be at all difficult to allow such functionality on the OM-D.

But whether Olympus would consider it important enough to include in a firmware upgrade I can only hope...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow