Canon 350D: does it still stand up to the competition?

Started Jul 26, 2013 | Questions thread
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
Re: Canon 350D: does it still stand up to the competition?
In reply to Rob Bernhard, Jul 27, 2013

before anything else I am assuming that you have the efs 18-55 zoom without image stabilization.Also taking into account your budget and practicality of gear for extended travel.

A small sensor "prosumer" compact camera with IS will beat this lens on your camera anyday.Forget about the DXO ratings for sensors etc the fact is with the lens stabilized you will be keeping the ISO lower and therfore have cleaner images. I replaced a Nikon D70 with the kit 18-70 with an Olympus XZ-1 a couple of years ago. My wife has a EOS 400D with the 18-55kit and the Olympus beats it at lower ISO's every time, its only with low light and the 50 1.8 that the Canon takes the lead again. Take a look at any of the nice compacts that shoot RAW , today I would probably go for a G15, metal body fast lens and VIDEO.We still have the Canon for Telephoto work . Three images below to show the versatility of these compacts. First image below is in a museum with available light.All shot hand held.

Aaron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow