Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wade Tregaskis
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?
In reply to Stacey_K, Jul 27, 2013

Because IMHO many of their results don't match what I have seen in real world use.

For example they highly recommend in their text buying the 50mm f1.4g over the 50mm f1.8 because the resolution is so much higher. Yet if you look at even their tests, the difference is minute. They give them the same MP rating, which all seems weird too, just show me the resolution numbers, don't dumb it down for me. Plus they rated the 50 f1.8G wide open and the 50mm f1.4 at f2.8? At F2 both lenses are Very sharp.

Oh, right, yeah, their summary scores are at best a bit vague.  I don't pay those much heed.  But they present a lot of their relatively raw data, so you can really dig in to some of the specifics and compare things quite precisely.

I know their software is also very good at what it does, so I figure they must have genuinely great knowledge of all these lenses, to fine-tune their software for each, so presumably their measurements are quite accurate as presented.  They also match my experience so far more accurately than any other major review sites.  So that's my take, anyway.

This is what photozone said too. Their tests overall seem much more real world useful and they don't candy coat things. YMMV

I'll take a look at some of their reviews more thoroughly.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow