Why I love my D200

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,466Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I love my D200
In reply to olliess, Jul 27, 2013

olliess wrote:

A matrix meter isn't meant to be a guide. It's meant to nail the exposure without intervention. The best ones pretty much do at this stage in the game.

I don't know your background in this forum or photography in general, however this statement suggests that you are more of an armchair critic rather than an actual shooter.

Of the 11 cameras I have owned the closest one to being able to leave at 0EV Comp all the time (but only because I always shot RAW with EXR sensor processing) was the Fuji X10. Otherwise every camera (mostly DSLRs) needed -0.3 in general, while some, such as the Panasonic G1 and the Pentax DS2, needed -0.7EV on most shots/scenes.

But then, I am particular about having no blown highlights in my images.

An in-camera histogram is also provided so that the keen photogrpaher can avoid channel clipping, while still exposing the sensor as much as possible when desirable.

Unless it's a live histogram, you have to take the shot and THEN view the histogram. The moment could be gone by then, so review + reshoot is not always an option.

In the shots displayed in this and the other "Wonderful D200" thread, there were no such time constraints.

When taking shots for technical evaluation especially, it would be wise to always check the RGB histogram back.  Once it's set for a particular scene, unless the lighting changes you don't need to check again.

I get the feeling though, that a lot of people in here don't ever use the histogram feature, and are not even sure what it means or how to understand it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow