Backup Routine for Photos, & Sudden Hard Drive Failure

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,109
Like?
Re: They always fail out of nowhere!
In reply to Ahender, Jul 26, 2013

Ahender wrote:

I had been suing Windows 7 Backup Utility until I found out it DOES NOT back up all the files needed to do a complete system restore.

It does when you use the "Create a System Image" option. I've tested this and it works just fine.

As for USB 3.0, not convinced that "standard" is bug free.

The biggest issue with most USB implementations is the lack of error reporting.   I've seen instances where data is read incorrectly but there is no report of the problem.   And when the USB drivers do report errors they simply get written to the system error log - you'll never know about them unless you go looking.   That's why I:

• wrote myself a utility to monitor the event log for errors and alert me to any which I haven't specifically chosen to ignore.   I've found that this catches a lot of USB connectivity issues.
  • Use external USB drives only for backups and create checksums for all files on the drives which I then read back using a program which bypasses the file system cache to verify that they've been written and can be read without errors.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow