Backup Routine for Photos, & Sudden Hard Drive Failure

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,634Gear list
Like?
Re: They always fail out of nowhere!
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jul 26, 2013

The probability that two External HDs would fail at the same time due to drive problems is very close to zero.  Before I simply connected a new drive I would at least think about what may have caused the problem.  My first assumption is a power problem (assuming both drives were not moved as they started up).  Were the drive power supplies connected to a UPS?  It's summer and air conditioners compressors can cause surge and low voltage.  Also power companies my reduce power.  Low voltage can be more dangerous to a hard drive than a surge.  I have my external hard drives connected to a voltage regulated sign wave UPS.  Personally I have never had a hard drive failure for an internal hard drive in a well ventilated case.  I have, however, had four external hard drive failures over the last 10 years (current desktop - four internal drives - 8 tb, and 4 external 12 tb).  The two Seagate external HD which failed would sometimes connect and with multiple attempts, all data could be recovered.  However both Western Digital failures were sudden and I was unable to recover anything from either drive.  Fortunately since both had backups, it was not worth my effort to further attempt recovery.  I now only use Seagate drives  and use the externals only as backups.  They are turned on only when I am backing up data and verifying the backups.  For travel I copy files from my camera to my Surface Pro and then backup to two 1 tb Seagate portable HDs prior to formatting the camera cards.  If your drives were connected via a powered usb hub, then while I think it is unlikely, something could have happened with the hub.  I would think any problem with your computer would not cause this type of failure.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow