Backup Routine for Photos, & Sudden Hard Drive Failure

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,541
Like?
There's no such thing as a fail proof drive.
In reply to larrytusaz, Jul 26, 2013

If an internal drive can fail, so can an external drive. It's all the same technology, the the size of the case, and how much other stuff is in that case, doesn't matter all that much.  Nor does it matter which drive your data is on. If you aren't backed up, either location is at risk.

What you need is a back-up plan that can handle BOTH of them failing at the same time. Removable media IN ADDITION TO your current back up. . . DVDs, tape, or online are all viable. And while you're at it, make sure you have several generations of backups available.

That is if, for some reason, you can't restore last week's/month's backup, make sure you can restore the week/month prior to that, or the week/month before that. How many generations you store, depends on how much economic/sentimental value you place on your data, and the size of your wallet. how often you back up depends again on the value you place on the data and how often it changes.

Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, none of them are responsible for safeguarding our data. We are. If we lose everything because of some sort of failure or even a combination of failures, it is OUR fault, no one else's.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow