ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gil
gil
Forum ProPosts: 16,510
Like?
D@mn these NEX Macros
Jul 26, 2013

With initial try and two confirmation sessions (limited only with bugs availability in my backyard); I am finding again the same Macro fun shots as I had with my P&S before. I am not new to macros although I go hot and cold on this subject. My last satisfying shots were in 2007 with my Panasonic P&S (link here ) using a setup similar to this (link here ).

I tried to duplicate similar fun with my A700 (link here ) with old but good Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro but it was not the same due to weight and bulk. I had other macro lenses that I tried with the A700 and A77 (old Sigma AF 50mm f2.8 macro, MF Kiron 105mm f2.8, MF Vivitar 90mm f2.5 and f2.8, MF Tamron 90mm f2.8, MF Minolta MD/MC 50mm f3.5, Quantaray 50mm f2.8, etc.) and although I could get usable insect macros, the fun factor was not fully there.

Facts to me that I know and I verified:

1) The on-board flash is more than enough to light a good subject. Problem is getting it to the subject in the right amount/diffused way. Fabricated several crude DIY diffuser and still need to tinker. I stopped until I got the NEX F3 in May this year. Back to crude tinkering again.

2) Dedicated macro lens that extends to 1:1 is too long always obstructing the on-board flash. Need elaborate and costly flash setup. Looked into this briefly but the size/bulk was not fun. Short zoom with achromat/stacked achromats in front is still quite short and does the jo. Easier to DIY a short diffuser. I have the Oly Life Size at 7.7 Diopter, Nikon 4T and 6T, Minolta A2 and others to play with.

3)The size of the P&S was easy to place or maneuver around the subject. The NEX is much smaller and now much fun compared to my old P&S.

D@mn these usable NEX macros as now I have to get a closer look on its possibilities and play with all possibilities (dedicated macro lens, stacked achromats, teleconverter extension in the front to extend lens to subject distance, etc.). The wife will be neglected again from time to time.

All shots in JPG (I am 99.99% JPG and hand holding fun shooter) and some PP mostly with PS + Plugins. No stacking and no bait. No insects were harmed or disturbed (maybe a bit from the flash) from all the sessions. Problem now is less insects in my backyard maybe due to summer and a bit cleaner backyard :-).

cheers and enjoy,

gil

Sample from 1st try. Had to position subject in the upper part of the frame to get the on-board flash reach most of it. The Olympus Life Size achromat  blocks most of the lower and center light. All pics in JPG and some PP.

Another sample from the 1st session of a small fly. Tight crop (maybe 10-15%) and not bad.

2nd session a few weeks later of a Bumble Bee. Now used a DIY diffuser (folder aluminum foil :-)) on the on-board flash.

Another Bumble Bee view from the 2nd session. Still experimenting on the view point and DIY diffuser.

3rd session a few days after the Bumble Bee. Same fly type as in the first session but seemed to be a bit bigger. Still using DIY aluminum foil diffuser (a new one since I threw the other one already - looks like good only for one use).

Another 3rd session look. Not much body details but head details seems to be ok. Still usable though.

Another 3rd session look with better body details.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA
Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur
Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow