Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,281Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?
In reply to Wade Tregaskis, Jul 26, 2013

Wade Tregaskis wrote:

This is at odds with DxOmark's measurements. According to them it's extremely non-uniform w.r.t. sharpness, with the corners and sides being noticeably soft until you get to at least f/5.6 (at 11mm).

I quit looking at that site a long time ago.

Why?

Because IMHO many of their results don't match what I have seen in real world use.

For example they highly recommend in their text buying the 50mm f1.4g over the 50mm f1.8 because the resolution is so much higher. Yet if you look at even their tests, the difference is minute. They give them the same MP rating, which all seems weird too, just show me the resolution numbers, don't dumb it down for me. Plus they rated the 50 f1.8G wide open and the 50mm f1.4 at f2.8? At F2 both lenses are Very sharp.

I've shot with both and couldn't see any difference in the look of the images, the f1.4g felt better build wise but was heavier and of course almost 2X the money.

This is what photozone said too. Their tests overall seem much more real world useful and they don't candy coat things. YMMV

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow