I want a better kit lens for travel...where to go?, please no primes...

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
cmpatti
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
There isn't one (yet)
In reply to JMaldonado01, Jul 26, 2013

JMaldonado01 wrote:

Hello,

I use my Oly EP L2 mainly for travel and I have the 14 - 42 & 40 - 150, the last one a great lens, every picture I take with it has great focus and contrast, makes beautiful pictures...but it gets used not that often because of being a long lens. The kit 14 - 42, it is just Ok, but really, doesn't produce great shots, I mean sharp and contrasty. I don't want to go the prime route (I know SIGMAS 19 & 30 are a good option) due to missing shots and the pana 12 - 35 is out of the equation, too expensive...So, what do you use as reasonable kit lens for travel.

-- hide signature --

JMG

Aside from the 12-35 (which may or may not be sharper) or going with a big, heavy 43 lens, there aren't any substantially better alternatives at this time.  You could try chase after copies of all the slow mFT kit lenses that have ever been offered, but I've never been inclined to do that because testing data that I've seen indicates that none are meaningfully sharper than the O14-42II (notwithstanding the P14-45's better reputation).  My copy of the o14-42II is quite capable: it can make sharp prints at 15x20 inches.  Of the 3 primes I have in or near its range, the 14-42 is slightly sharper than my 14mm, slightly less sharp than the 20mm, and noticeably less sharp than the 045. Maybe you do have a bad copy.

There is a rumor of a new Oly mid-range zoom, possibly 12-40 and either constant f/2.8 or f/2.8-4, to accompany the new OMD (supposedly in September).  You might wait to see what that looks like.

cmpatti's gear list:cmpatti's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow