I want a better kit lens for travel...where to go?, please no primes...

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,297Gear list
Like?
Re: Panny 14-140 as "all-in-one" travel lens
In reply to morepix, Jul 26, 2013

morepix wrote:

Ben,

I agree the 14-45 is an excellent lens, one that I've kept since the G1. However, for a "travel" lens, I wouldn't want to be restricted to that focal length. Anyway, I'm waiting eagerly for the new Pana 14-140 3.5-5.6 for travel and general use. However good or sub-good it is, it offers a lot more versatility than a 14-45.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

David and Ben,

Like the OP,  I too have been looking around for an all-in-one "travel lens" instead of having to carry my Panny 14-45 and 45-200 lenses to avoid lens switching.  GX1 is what I use.

Why?   I'm in my 70's,  and find myself  taking more bus tours now, and that  leaves little time to switch lenses whilst the bus is moving.   I've missed many shots because the 14-45 did not have enough reach shooting from the bus and fumbling around switching to 45-200.  

B and H  is selling a  Panny 14-140 for $680.   Is this the lens you are referring too, or an newer , better Panny 14-140?  Do you know if more expensive?   I'm leaving on a cruise in September.  Think the new 14-140 will be available by then?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/630572-REG/Panasonic_H_VS014140_Lumix_G_Vario_HD.html

Thank you.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow