The new Nexus 7

Started Jul 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,913Gear list
Like?
Re: The new Nexus 7
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Jul 26, 2013

Jeff Peterman wrote:

the Nexus 7 is OTG compatible, it just may not be full USB Host supporting..

If it doesn't support USB Host mode, how can it be OTG compatible? I use my current Android devices to control my Canon 7D occasionally, using DSLR Controller. Also, when I travel, I often keep movies on a 32 GB thumb drive and copy them to my tablet/phone when I want to view them. If the "OTG" port doesn't support those two functions then it doesn't really help.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

What we don't know yet is whether the Android 4.3 version installed in the new Nexus 7 supports full USB host mode.  There are several "purer" Android "root" versions for the 1st generation Nexus 7 that do, and brave users have employed this trick for some time. There are also Nexus 7-compatible DSLR controllers (such as DSLR Dashboard) that use the uUSB port or a wireless link.

Again, for your usage model, the Nexus 7 is too limiting. For mine, a wireless hub works great and you can plug in the thumb drive of your choice into it.  But again, that's an extra box.

However, compared to the frustration of the iPad user, these limitations are small indeed.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow