Bobn2 wrote:

jayrandomer wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

SubPrime wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

SubPrime wrote:

David Hull wrote:

What people seem to miss here is that the lens is what it is and the resolution of the sensor really has no influence on that. The lens has a special frequency response (in lines/mm). If the camera resolution is significantly more than that then the camera resolution won’t significantly influence the resolution of the cascaded system (sensor+lens).

Good point (in theory) but it would make the limits of the lens all the more obvious. I can only refer to the example of the Nikon 14-24G lens, which looked outstanding (corner to corner) on a 24 mpx sensor, but less so on a D800. So at this point, throwing a higher res sensor at the lens will only make the flaws more obvious.

I did not see the example , but the 24 Mp sensor would be APS-C (DX) which does not use the corners of the lens. That 24 Mp sensor pixel density would give 56 Mp FF. A 56 Mp FF sensor should look "outstanding" with that lens, except in the corners.

Dan

The camera I was referring to was the D3X, which is FF 24 mpx, so yes, it does use the corners. The lens in very good on the D800/E, but not sure I would describe it as "outstanding".

I forgot about that one. Was it only in the corners the D800/E was not as good as D3X?

It is always and everywhere better on the D800 than on the D3X.

-- hide signature --

Bob

If you're using it to look at a series of 100% crops it will probably be worse, although you will have more 100% crops.

100% crops means that you're comparing different size images.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Yes, of course.  I thought the silliness of "only if you're using it take pictures" would be a tip off that it was a somewhat humorous nature of the reply.

What I meant was that in LR (or similar programs), where the tendency is to look at the image at 1:1 to see how sharp and detailed it is, the higher resolution images tend to look worse.  In an X:Y comparison, then, the lower resolution image will look sharper, which you notice, and zoomed a bit further out, which you tend not to notice.  So if you use your camera to evaluate the quality of 100% crops (which is what LR can be used to do), the lower resolution will often look better.  Of course, if you use comparable images (which LR isn't designed to do) the higher resolution camera will generally do better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
Ah!New
Eh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow