Why I love my D200

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,418Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I love my D200
In reply to mistermejia, Jul 26, 2013

mistermejia wrote:

Stacey, maybe you should give Trevor a break and give him a couple of days/weeks to match your D200 output with the D7000

I don't have a D7000.  I have a D700.

Trevor, i do admire your positive attitude and that is a good thing, and i swear that if you do match your D7000 to the D200, i will take back everything that i have said and i will go out and RE-BUY the D7000. Please don't forget the write down all the procedures you are working on during this process

I can approximately match samples from two different posters so far, by reducing the exposure of their over-exposed D7000 images by 0.3EV.

That means that the two D200 users who responded with images have not been shooting their D7000s accurately. An over-exposed image, even by just 0.3EV, will always look inferior to a correctly exposed one.

It's possible that the D200 does produce lovely images which users absolutely adore.  It's also possible that, for some reason I have not yet worked out, some D7000 users don't know about or use the onboard histogram tool and just expect the metering to produce perfect results every time.

The D7000 appears to be set to produce a higher dynamic range image than the D200. The metering and tone curve of the D200 is definitely different to my D700 as well.

Stacey_K and John Moyer are welcome to enjoy their D200s for ever.  If they claim they are superior in some way to later cameras, and supply flawed images to prove that, then I understand that I am permitted to challenge them on those claims.

This is a public forum - it does not belong to D200 fans.

PS  It's also OK for people to be D200 fans.  I am not against them.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow