Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?
In reply to Mickslick, Jul 26, 2013

Mickslick wrote:

I have the Sigma 10-20 F4 EX lens and offered to sell it to my sister since I was intrigued with replacing it with the Tokina 11-16 F2.8 DXII. Research indicated that the Tokina might be overall a bit sharper, especially in the corners. So I ordered one. Today I tested both on my D7100 at F9, F11 and F14 at 11mm and 16mm. I developed in RAW and compared. Note, I'm mostly a Landscaper so wasn't too concerned about the lower apertures.

To my surprise the Tokina did not trump the Sigma. In general, the Sigma was better at F11 and F14 and a touch less sharp than the Tokina at F9. The corners were very close in all comparisons, the Tokina might have been barely better at F9 and almost the same at F11 and F14. The Tokina did display a richer / deeper contrast, but with slight adjustments in lightroom the Sigma images could come very close to the same "richness" the Tokina displayed out of the gate.

Bottom line I was a bit surprised that the Sigma was really just as good overall in fact besting the Tokina in some areas and losing only by the slightest of margins in others. I did not test flaring, however, Tokina is routinely known for more propensity to flare than the Sigma 10-20. I know this Tokina flare, I have the excellent full frame Tokina 16-28 pro for my D800, it is fantastic in every respect, except flare, if you get it anywhere near direct sun, watch out.

So I had to call my sister and break the news, the Sigma 10-20 wasn't going anywhere and I was returning the Tokina. To me it's a no brainer, not only did the Sigma essentially match and even exceed the Tokina in most areas, it's 10-20 range gives me more room and less lens changing when I overlap and probably is better with lens flare. lare. Plus I wont be out the difference of selling and buying. Right now, apples to apples the Sigma is $429 with a $50 rebate through Sept. 25th, and the Tokina is running around $600.

Good Luck

I had the same experience as you with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and ended up going with the Sigma Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM instead. I expected much better from the Tokina after reading the glowing reviews and was very surprised and disappointed with the copy I bought.
I also compared my Sigma 10-20 to a rental Nikon 10-24 and found the Sigma better at 10mm where I use it mostly. Given the excellent optics and low price, the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM  choice for an UWA lens  is a no-brainer. I often shoot the Sigma at 10mm without distortion correction, as in the following photos, which saves a lot of time in post.

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow