Nikon 10-22mm f3.5-56 or Tokina 11-16mm f2.8?

Started Jul 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,509Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 8-16 is great
In reply to Wade Tregaskis, Jul 26, 2013

Wade Tregaskis wrote:

2) No filters and bulbous front element is annoying, particularly if you're use to keeping a filter on your front elements to prevent damage. I'd love to be able to use a CPL with the lens but the truth is I don't do that very much anyway. (There are DIY solutions involving Cokin filters and even dedicated filter holders, but they're clunky and expensive - I have better things to spend my photo dollars on)

How would you use a CPL on a ultra-wide-angle anyway? The non-uniform incident light across that wide angle of view usually gives you decidedly inconsistent results across the frame. Certainly for typical landscapes and such.

I have no personal experience with an ultrawide and CPL but if you go to flickr you'll see that there are people who've had decent results with CPL and Sigma 8-16. It probably requires extra care and experience/experimentation and won't work in every situation....but you can say the same for using an ultrawide in the first place.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow