Do you typically shoot in P or M?

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?
Re: P is too complex; M is simpler.
In reply to ARB1, Jul 26, 2013

I was taught to use M by my first mentor, my wife. She learned to use M when it was the only mode available on her old film cameras. I then taught myself to use A, and was mostly an A shooter for a while. If I became confused, I would, on rare occasions, revert to "green box" as a last resort. Using M, at this stage, meant crunching numbers in my head.

My next instructor was Christopher Duncan, a police photographer. (His book on the subject is available at Amazon.) He taught us to use M, A, and S/Tv. If the subject of P was ever mentioned, I do not recall it. I could comfortably use M, A, and S/Tv after this class, being able to understand how they were related to each other.

I then attended a class taught in Houston, Texas by Kathy Adams Clark. Her "Beginner" DSLR photography class uses M, exclusively, as she believes a beginner should understand M. (I agree!) Though I already understood M, and could use it, I had a better understanding after her instruction, using M, A, and S/Tv more intuitively, not having to run numbers in my head.

Syl Arena introduced me to M with auto-ISO, during a recent one-day Speedliter's Intensive event. When I have a bit of spare time, I will try it. (Yes, I actually do use M, routinely, while selecting my ISO for each situation!)

P? Hmm, too complex for me.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow