olliess
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
Re: Why I love my D200
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 26, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

olliess wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

That's why they include a histogram, so you can make adjustments as you go.

But they also include a matrix meter, so you don't have to!

Are you serious?

That's simply not true - a matrix exposure meter is simply a guide, and not a fool-proof one at that, as to what needs to be set.

A spot meter or a centerweighted meter is suitable as a guide. It has a predictable response, which the skilled photographer can then use to guide the final exposure setting.

A matrix meter isn't meant to be a guide. It's meant to nail the exposure without intervention. The best ones pretty much do at this stage in the game.

An in-camera histogram is also provided so that the keen photogrpaher can avoid channel clipping, while still exposing the sensor as much as possible when desirable.

Unless it's a live histogram, you have to take the shot and THEN view the histogram. The moment could be gone by then, so review + reshoot is not always an option.

RAW is there so that if you or the metering get it wrong you still have a reasonable chance of recovering a good image.

Which is exactly why I think the matrix meter tend to the conservative side for highlights. Truly blown highlights are the one thing that is hard to recover, even from raw files.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow