Pangloss
Senior MemberPosts: 2,298Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I love my D200
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 26, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

olliess wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

That's why they include a histogram, so you can make adjustments as you go.

But they also include a matrix meter, so you don't have to!

Are you serious?

That's simply not true - a matrix exposure meter is simply a guide, and not a fool-proof one at that, as to what needs to be set.

An in-camera histogram is also provided so that the keen photogrpaher can avoid channel clipping, while still exposing the sensor as much as possible when desirable.

RAW is there so that if you or the metering get it wrong you still have a reasonable chance of recovering a good image.

I very much doubt that the reason digital cameras offer the option of saving files in a raw format is solely to allow for the recovery of improperly exposed images.

And matrix metering is really very useful in providing better exposure in any automatic mode. And it works fantastically well not only with the CCD sensor in the D200, but also with the CMOS 1" sensor in my Nikon V1.

However, what I have noticed and may be connected to what Stacey has mentioned in her original post in this thread, is that my V1 "clips hard", whereas my D200 hardly clips at all under harsh sunlight outdoors, and it's kind of a more gradual clipping.

What is apparent is that the D200 is the last of a breed of CCD-equipped DX format Nikon bodies with a unique imaging engine that has some hard-to-reproduce qualities.

I am every bit as surprised as Stacey about this - positively surprised, I mean.

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

Pangloss's gear list:Pangloss's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow