David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon’s Testing a 75MP+ Pro DSLR
In reply to SubPrime, Jul 25, 2013

SubPrime wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I am wondering how many lenses or even if any can fully leverage 75mp? Will have a huge diminishing return.

Your metaphor has nothing to do with reality.

Lenses project analog images. You need a lot of pixels to get a virtually analog capture of the lens' projection.

Wrong metaphor. You are suggesting that because lenses are not made of binary information, they have infinite resolving power.

If you continue to magnify a piece of digital negative, you only get a finite amount of detail, beyond which, all you will see is the grain structure.

That's not what he is saying at all. The lens projects a continuous (by that I mean non-quantized) image. What the imager does with it is independent of that. What people seem to miss here is that the lens is what it is and the resolution of the sensor really has no influence on that. The lens has a special frequency response (in lines/mm). If the camera resolution is significantly more than that then the camera resolution won’t significantly influence the resolution of the cascaded system (sensor+lens).

It is as if you played your CD player through a phone line it would have a significant influence on the sound you heard. If on the other hand you played it through a channel that had bandwidth out to 500 kHz all you would hear is how good the CD machine sounded.

I don’t get the “sensor out resolves the lens thing”; ideally that is what you want at least up to the point where you reach some point of diminishing returns and are wasting money on the sensor (as in my Audio example above).

Even 75MP would be more like a mosaic than an analog image of the lens' projection, for a moderately sharp lens.

Wrong. Before you get to the mosaic, you begin to see the inadequacies of most lenses.

Of course, but the imperfections of the sensor are gone.  You can finally toss the AIF for example (since the lens has become one).

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
Ah!New
Eh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow