Thoughts about XZ-1 settings please

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ron Goodenow
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?
Re: Thoughts about XZ-1 settings please
In reply to joe6pack, Jul 25, 2013

joe6pack wrote:

I like to use L[N] + RAW as the format and 3:2 as aspect ratio.

The former gives me JPEG that I will keep and RAW for situations like a good photo that I like to keep and also critical for low light situation. XZ-1 JPEG can have a lot of noise. If I shoot in RAW, I can go as high as ISO 1250 with acceptable noise.

It should be note that a few times I forgot that I left my SD card at home. The small built-in memory of XZ-1 really saves the day. I will set the image format to M[N]. That gives me around 50 shots. Good enough for a day worth (if I didn't start shooting in L[N] + RAW that is)

3:2 aspect does not make the best use of the CCD. But I think it is a better format. Both because it fills the screen completely and also because it fits HDTV screen better than 4:3. In case I needed the border, I still have the RAW to recover it.

Thanks Joe. This is the kind of info I am looking for.

Oh, and I thanked Aaron by mistake for the comment on camera memory. Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. And the next time I do some event photography where flash is unwelcome I'll try raw. Try as I might I could not get over ISO800 with my 510.

-- hide signature --

Take photos not pixel counts....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow