Sell me on a J1.

Started Jul 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,713
Like?
Sell me on a J1... Now a V1
In reply to MikeInIndy, Jul 25, 2013

MikeInIndy wrote:

Depending on what you shoot you may be better off spending the extra cash for a V camera. While none of the things I HAVE used my J1 for required it, it wouldn't work well for a couple things I would have liked to do with it (good for taking in sports arenas with lots of restrictions for example, the 30-110 is 70-300mm on FX equivalent) where it would be almost a deal breaker. And I agree with the assessment that the first gen 1 cameras are very close in performance to a D200 (or it's sensor sharing brother cameras) for image quality. Used with care it can produce art level photography, and used with less care it can still create good snapshots in conditions where it would previously have been unheard of. Also the fast primes are well worth considering since it's amazing autofocus performance drops off rather abruptly once you get below a certain light level, and a couple extra stops makes that light level almost irrelevant.

There are still a few good deals around. A V1 with the 10mm f/2.8 lens can be had for about $269 from DigitalRev (but only in white) or a more traditional black 2 lens kit (10-30mm & 30-110mm) for $479. Links in my post here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51869360

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow